Thursday 11 July 2013

Short Story: Part 3


Here is part three of my short story from my writer's craft course! To read part 2 click HERE, to read part 1 click HERE.

The little girl’s voice echoed out the window, caressing the breeze with its sweet sounds and to the little girl’s surprise the doves, as if on cue, began to sing the beautiful melody, and the air filled with peace.
But alas, the girl had to leave her little friends as her mother was up and about the house, solemnly going about her chores. Her mother asked her to go and pick up some groceries and the little girl did as she was asked. On her way home however, she stopped by the cemetery to lay some lilacs on Eliza’s grave.
“We miss you, Eliza. Especially mama, she weeps for you every night. Do you hear her in heaven? You must, for her love for you can reach anywhere. Papa is very sad without you here, he doesn’t seem to notice that the house is dirty and the garden is overgrown. I try and help Eliza, but I can’t, I don’t know how.” With that the little girl began to weep bitterly, for she hadn’t mourned properly due to her parents own heartbreak.
After a few minutes, the girl regained composure and was going to set off when she heard a noise. The noise was quiet, but just loud enough to hear. It was the rustling of feathers in the lilac tree.
“My friends must have followed me,” the girl said with a smile. “I guess they’re here to remind me I have to get back home!” So the little girl ventured home to her mother, where she promptly handed her the paper bag to an empty-spirited mother and went off to Eliza’s room.
As she entered Eliza’s room and began to sing, “Lilacs and lavender, fields full of trees, the dove will come and sing with me, carried in the breeze. Don’t you worry I am fine, God has taken me, home to lie upon His lap, and please don’t cry for me. The dove will leave you with my love, he’ll sing to you each day, and when you’re lonely hearts do stop, the dove will save the day.” While she sang, the doves flew to the window and perched themselves comfortably in the shade of the cherry tree once again. Moments later, the girl was surprised to hear the doves croon the melody she herself had just sung. This went on for a while and amused her little mind.
The little birds’ song began to make her tired so she laid down on her sister’s bed.
While lying there, a thought occurred to her. “What if,” she pondered, “What if I could make mama and papa happy again? Maybe if I acted more like Eliza and wore her clothes… though she was much taller than me.” While continuing to come up with a plan, her mother appeared in the doorway and was immediately upset by her intrusion.
“What are you doing in here? Don’t you know this is Eliza’s room? If she knew you were in here…” her mother’s face was contorted with pain and sadness.
The little girl began to speak. “Well mama, I thought I’d open the window to let some fresh air in Eliza’s room.” She squeaked and continued rather quickly, “She won’t care if I’m in her room now anyways mama, she’s gone.” Those last two words pierced her mother’s heart, and as soon as those words left her mouth she knew she had made a huge mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment