Thursday 26 June 2014

Short Story: Part 6 ~ FINAL




Doves circled around their little house, crooning the tune over and over for the family, all creating harmony and all the while healing. The birds continued to sing until the family at last retired for the night. The little doves had done their job. They had comforted two loving parents and a caring sister, and with that flew away.
When the family woke up in the morning, the house’s oppressive feeling had vanished and the feeling of happiness had overcome everyone. Lillian even sang a song while cleaning, David tended to his garden, and their little girl was able to see her parents happy again. For her, that was all that ever mattered.
After that night, the family never once mourned again the loss of dear Eliza. Of course they were sad and missed her on special occasions. However, instead of weeping and despairing as they did before, they celebrated and reminisced about their little Eliza and the life she had lived.
As the little girl grew up, she made sure to write her feelings down in a diary, good or bad, new or old. She especially wrote the occurrences of that night in her diary. To this day, the diary still exists. You see, this diary was passed down to each generation, and no one did anything with it. That is, however, until I received it from my grandmother. She told me to keep it safe and make sure to read it every day, and I do. I wake up and read an excerpt from the diary. Today though, I read an entry that I was very intrigued by. I was so intrigued in fact, I thought I had to write a story on what actually happened that night, as well as the days leading up to it. Here is the excerpt that compelled me to write this story:
“I still remember the day it happened; everything went so terribly wrong that afternoon! I broke mama’s heart, and shattered my own.
Both mother and I wept all afternoon, and I don’t think either of us realized that father had come home. I still didn’t until I banged on Eliza’s door and he came running out to see what was wrong. If I hadn’t heard that strange sound, maybe things would still be the same way they were earlier that day.
I can still remember father’s face when he broke the door down and saw all the doves in the room surrounding Eliza’s last picture. He seemed so tranquil, as if he knew, like we all do, that Eliza was safe and in God’s hands. Then, when all the doves were singing the tune that was Eliza’s favourite song everything felt like a dream!
Sometimes, I worry that it was all a dream, and that we aren’t really happy again. Sometimes I wonder why the doves saved our family that night. I wonder how it all happened. It’s just a huge mystery. Mother and I often talk about that day, laughing at our dramatic argument, crying over our grief. We converse for hours, remembering all the little details like Eliza’s smashed picture, the doves surrounding it and the melody, that still remains in our hearts to this day, that was sung. The only thing is I remember closing the window each time I left Eliza’s room. I wouldn’t have otherwise, except that if the window was left open and the bedroom door was closed, the door would jam. So I only have one question? If I didn’t open the window, who did? ”
            I’ve reread the diary multiple times throughout my time of owning it. It’s just as magical as the first time, but it becomes more mysterious. Throughout her entries, I’ve noted that she lists each and every time she opens and closes the window. So logic would tell me that when the special dove entered her sisters’ room the window should have been shut. I’ve also asked others what they think. Most respond with, “It all started when someone opened the bedroom window.”  And I agree with them, but who was it that opened the window in the third floor bedroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment