Tuesday 18 June 2013

Short Story: Part 2

Hey everyone, I'm currently in the middle of studying for exams, so try and bear with me as my blogs will probably be somewhat shorter or even just little updates. Thank you!



            The little girl sighed as the sun was setting. She thought she heard her sister singing, but there was no way that could happen anymore. She felt that the room’s once lively walls were now dull and lacking. “Well, little bird, I’ve opened the window so you can bring life back into this room. Maybe the doves on the walls want some company too,” the little girl offered. With that she sat on the floor remembering her sister and let the night air flood the room.
            She remained a while, staring at the dove that reminded her so much of her sister. But before long, she grew weary, closed the window and got ready for bed.
 That night she had a dream, a dream that her sister had returned from Heaven, and was dancing and singing, and her mama and papa were happy again. However, the dream morphed and Eliza was now sitting on the beach with her. She grabbed her hand and started speaking, “I want you to tell mama and papa to be happy again, that I’m okay! I’m with gramma and grandpa now. Please tell them not to be sad anymore.” And with that the girl suddenly woke up. She could have sworn she heard the sound of her sister’s sweet humming of a song she knew so long ago. She disregarded the dream, knowing that if she told her parents her sisters message it would only bring on more tears.
The little girl made her bed, washed her face, and got dressed. She peeked into her parents room, her mother was silently sewing in the old rocking chair that Eliza loved so dearly, her father was dressing for work.
Quietly, she walked down the hallway to her sister’s room, and to her surprise the window was open! “I could’ve sworn I shut it last night,” the little girl said. “I must have only dreamt it.” She headed over to the window to close it but stopped suddenly when the dove that had followed her home yesterday was there again, only this time sat with another dove under the shade of the cherry tree. The little girl looked behind her to make sure her mother wasn’t watching and started to sing the song her sister once sang.
“Lilacs and lavender, fields full of trees, the dove will come and sing with me, carried in the breeze. Don’t you worry I am fine, God has taken me, home to lie upon His lap, and please don’t cry for me. The dove will leave you with my love, he’ll sing to you each day, and when you’re lonely hearts do stop, the dove will save the day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment